Friday, August 11, 2006

My Dinner With Kumo

I made the mistake of telling Kumo I'd had sushi for lunch the other day, and she was very upset with me for not bringing her any. Since Mandi was here, and offered to watch the puppies for us, I offered to take Kumo out to dinner to make up for it. I asked her where she wanted to go and she told me "Macaroni Grill!"

When I pointed out the distinct lack of sushi to be found at the Macaroni Grill, she told me "Well I'm not in the mood for sushi now." And so off we went.

Our waitress Cindy was quite nice, took our order, and left us to sip our drinks and draw.


Kumo has a way of making her presence known.


It was a good opportunity to talk to Kumo about some things, like what happened to her job.
***************************************
Me: So how come you haven't been going to work lately?

Kumo: Oh, that! I called them and quit.

Me: Why on earth would you quit your job?!

Kumo: Well, there didn't seem to be a lot of reason to keep going after they told me they no longer needed my services.

Me: They "no longer needed your services?"

Kumo: Yeah, must be a slow time for the courier business or something.

Me: (snort) So, how did they take it when you quit?

Kumo: Well, we laughed about it on the phone, but I know they were just putting on a good face for me. It's good timing for you, though. Think of how much money you're saving by having a live in ninja to train your puppies.

Me: (nearly choking to death on sip of tea) Oh really?

Kumo: Yeah! You're really fortunate that things are slow in the courier business. I guess everything works out just how it's supposed to, hu?
***************************************
So that explains it then. I don't even want to know what she did to get fired. And there's no way to ask, since she apparently doesn't realize that she DID get fired.

Thankfully, dinner came and ended that part of the conversation.


Kumo snarfed down her dinner. Sometimes, dinner with Kumo is like eating with a locust.

We decided we'd split a dessert, but somehow, that concept got lost between ordering and arrival. Because when our yummy lemon cake arrived, Kumo announced "COOL! They brought me two forks!"

I sat and sipped my coffee, patiently observing the lemon cake carnage, figuring she'd eventually get full and leave me some.

I was wrong.


Oh, so very wrong.


But all in all it was a lovely evening. It was nice to get to talk to Kumo, and now the mystery of why she has so much spare time is solved. Which is good and bad. I don't feel nearly so fortunate to have a live in ninja dog trainer as I guess I should be.

I'll see if I can work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment