Saturday, July 18, 2009

Harping On My Point

I think Tycho wanted to go with Wendy to the harp concert last night, but I managed to beat him to her purse and so I got to go.


I navigated, of course. I felt I really got the opportunity to show what a great navigator I really am with this trip. Had I not had the map, we would've been completely lost! Even WITH Mapquest!


The event was a performance by the incredible harpist, Sunita Staneslow. Wendy has a couple of the music books she's written, and says her arrangements are incredible. She told me she though I would really enjoy the performance.


And she was RIGHT!


Sunita's playing was beautiful. Wendy said that in part it was because the harp she played in the first half of the performance was a Rubarth Merlin. Wendy's a little bit biased, since that's the kind of harp she plays.


For the second half, Sunita played a Dusty Strings harp, which sounded okay too. She told a very moving story about playing for people in the hospital and the program she's trying to get going with the other harpers in Israel, where she lives. Harps in hospitals and hospices sounds like a very powerful thing.


I was completely enchanted by both her stories and her playing.


I told her so when I got to meet her at the reception later. She seemed a bit surprised to see a bunny at her show, but bunnies like music too.


I also got to meet Mr. Rick Rubarth. He's the guy who made that Rubarth harp she was playing for the first half, and he made two of Wendy's harps. Nice guy and a really good harp builder. He's got a very sweet lady friend too. I couldn't tell if she liked bunnies, but it wouldn't have mattered much as it seemed she only had eyes for Rick.


I hid out under a flower arrangement and had a cookie while Wendy schmoozed and talked to people from her harp past. Now she's all determined to play the harp more, and might be entering a therapy harp program. I wonder if there's a therapy bunny program. I'd be a great therapy bunny.

I guess we'll see.

I think I've finally proved my point about why I would be the better companion for Comic Con, but we'll see. We're going to try to catch a showing of the new Harry Potter movie. Wait until I show her how well I do in long lines (plenty of long lines at Comic Con!)

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment