Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Titanic Do Over

Having previously been unable to see the Titanic for the trees, we tried this again a week later.



Kirkachu was pretty determined that we should go, and he was driving, so that was a pretty good sign that we were actually going to make it this time!



I navigated, of course.


And we made it! (Well, once we found it in the mall parking lot.) It was a pretty big structure , though it looked smaller than I thought it would. There were a LOT of people.


The lines were long, but we were up for it. We settled into the VIP line that our special little ticket thingy got us into (Thanks, Lucas!) and took some pictures while we were waiting.



As I was reading the description, Wendy said there was an employee coming over towards us, probably to tell us either that live bunnies weren't allowed in the exhibit (it's happened), or to put the camera back in the car because no pictures were allowed (it's also happened).

But that was not the case at all.



Turns out, this guy (who's name is Jay. Hi Jay!) had seen my blog and recognized me! He took us out of the line, gave me the official "press" kit, and took us in through the exit to the beginning of the exhibit!

No pictures were allowed inside the exhibit, so I can't show you how cool this was, but trust me. If it comes to your town, go see it. It's a difficult thing to explain, the feeling you get looking at the handwriting on a letter, or the broken cuff links, of someone who died in such a tragic event. But if you go see the exhibit, I think you'll feel it for yourself.

More people have been in space than have seen the wreckage of the Titanic. And the ship eventually will collapse, though it's hard to say exactly when she'll be gone for good. I hadn't realized why the recovery expeditions were such a big deal (it's dangerous and expensive), but I get it now.

It was very moving to see the little biographies of people who had been on the Titanic and then find their names on the wall of survivors/lost to see who did and didn't make it.

There was so much to see, and it was a really fascinating display of things from a different time.

And I did, in fact, resist the urge to quietly hum "The Heart Will Go On" through the whole thing. (Okay, Kirkachu only had to elbow me once to get me to stop.)



Anyway, it was a really great exhibit. And I'm glad we finally got to go see it. You can see if it's coming to your town here, on their official website - Country Financial Presents Titanic Treasures from the Deep.



We got back to the car and I had to sort through all the cool stuff Jay gave me. I got a cool piece of recovered coal from the Titanic on the 1994 expedition!

Apparently, because we were in a mall parking lot, for some reason, that meant we had to go INTO the mall.


Where we found Wendy's next car (though if she drives like she focuses a camera, we're all in big trouble.)

She told me if she got it, I could be her mechanic and that maybe that'd be a good new career path for me.


She's funny, that one. Ha. Ha.


There was a school art exhibit going on in the mall.


I vaguely remember this fountain thingy being bigger the last time I was here, but even being smaller, it still seems to encourage the same strange human behavior of compulsively throwing change into running water. Weird.


We were all starving and decided on a delicious lunch from Panda Express.

Then it was off to the theater to see X-Men Origins: Wolverine.


To be totally honest, I wasn't expecting much. I had already seen Wolverine: The Musical, but I like the character of Wolverine. I'm not a huge comic book fan, but Kirkachu is, and I was happy to tag along.

When I asked Wendy why she was going she just mumbled something about "Hugh... Liev... very hot" so maybe she was going because the theater is air conditioned? I dunno. It didn't seem all that hot out to me, but regardless, she came along too.

We got there early and took in the posters for upcoming movies.



We are so there. Wendy and Kirkachu even took the day off of work.


Whatever day this is coming out on, I'm busy. Or sick. Or busy being sick. Or something.


Sunday afternoon is apparently THE time to go see movies. Even with it being only the 2nd weekend for Wolverine Origins, the place was pretty empty.

The movie rocked. Seriously, rocked. I didn't know who half the characters were, but comic book nerd, Kirkachu, said he didn't either, so there you go.

As usual for us, we ended up out for food and movie reviewing.


Which we did at our favorite, Village Inn, which is always delicious.


All in all, it was a great day. We saw lots of cool stuff, and had a great time. And any day that ends with carrot cake is a good day in my book.

More adventures and more movies coming up. Thanks for stopping by.

- Gage

No comments:

Post a Comment