Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Gage's Pacific Northwest Adventure - Pt 5

(Wendy has pointed out that if I don't get to work on this, I'll be finishing this off sometime in December. Smarty-pants. So anyway, where was I? Oh yeah! The Saturday Market! - Gage)

Having had some yummy breakfast we headed out to the Saturday Market. LadyDragonfly suggested taking the light-rail, which confused Wendy and I a lot. We're both from Colorado where the light-rail is essentially useless. But it turns out public transportation in Washington and Oregon is pretty spiffy. I was impressed.

One of the first things we saw was a band of wandering musicians. They were pretty darn good, and I tipped them. (Being a musician myself... um... kind of... well someday when I find the right instrument, I appreciate other musicians.)

The Saturday Market is HUGE, and thus really hard to get a decent picture of. There are tents and people EVERYWHERE and easily over a hundred merchants, all with nifty stuff.

More tents and happy Saturday Market shoppers.

The Saturday Market takes place at/near/around the Skidmore Fountain in Portland. There are fountains EVERYWHERE up here. Which was also weird for a bunny from Colorado.

This was another thing you don't really see in Colorado. No, not pigeons! Bubblers! Benson Bubblers is what they're called. They were put up by a turn of the century lumber baron who wanted everyone downtown to have access to fresh water (and apparently to quit drinking so much alcohol during the day). I didn't get a chance to ask the pigeons if they found they drank less beer because of the bubblers, but they did seem to enjoy the water.

So we wandered around the Saturday Market for a while and then Wendy had a tragic boot blowout and we wandered through this park with HUGE trees on our way to the glory... the excitement... the majesty of THE MALL!!!!

(Note to self - This is what happens when you travel with girls.)

No comments:

Post a Comment