Sunday, April 15, 2007

Happy Birthday to ME!

It's been a really nice, laid back birthday weekend for me, even if my birthday was on Friday the 13th.

I decided that I didn't really want a party, or a lot of people coming over or anything. So Kumo and Wendy got me a cake, and we had a nice little celebration, with just us and the dogs.

I made my wish, took a deep breath, and blew out the candles. Upon turning to look at Kumo, she did not say anything about finding her own place. So I thought maybe the birthday wish might take longer than that.

Kumo and I enjoyed some yummy carrot cake.

Kumo enjoyed a LOT of yummy carrot cake. And an entire carton of Ben and Jerry's.

Between mouthfulls, there was still no mention of getting her own place.

Finally, Kumo decided moving another piece to her plate was just too much effort. I wandered away and Wendy and I enjoyed our coffee in the living room, ignoring the sounds of defenseless cake being brutally devoured. Still no mention of moving out. Stupid birthday wish.

While sipping our coffee, Wendy asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I suggested maybe leaving the house occasionally. She looked sheepishly at me, and sure enough, the next morning we went to the writers' group!

I missed the writers' group a lot. More than I'd realized. And I was glad Kumo had eaten most of the cake the night before, because Wendy bought me a nummy, chocolate, birthday muffin!

While listening to everyone slam the book we're reading for the pagan book discussion group next month, and share their animal rescue stories, I enjoyed my birthday muffin. Mmmmm... muffin.

Anne (Dragonhorse) brought several little ceramic dragons to show everyone. The yellow one had apparently been in a car wreck. Or he was a stylized "whiplash dragon". I don't know much about dragons, so I don't know.

I got the honor of speaking to another stuffie writer! Mr. Beary Cornelius, a romance writer, had attended with his human companion. She's a writer of fantasy/scifi, and apparently there is much lively discussion between the two of them concerning their writing styles.

Beary seemed very nice, and it was great to get to talk to another stuffie! I did have to ask about the lei, though. He told me that he wears them as a constant reminder of his goal to attend the Maui Writers' Conference this year, and I think that's wonderful.

Festive too.

So, my goals for this next year - get out more, see more things, go more places. If I have to learn to drive the freakin' Hamster Van MYSELF we will be going out more (you hear me, Wendy?). But it's been a great year, and a great birthday weekend.

Even if birthday wishes are bunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment