Monday, April 2, 2007

Graduation Day!


So, my blog entry is only two weeks after the fact, but Wendy graduated from massage therapy school Sunday March 25th.

Now that she and Kumo are bestest buddies, Kumo wanted to come along too.

Always fun to hang around with Kumo in public, but she was actually pretty well behaved this time around.

Wandered around, and got to visit some of my former classmates who were graduating with Wendy. Jeff and Ashley were hanging out.

And the ever adorable Megan and Liz(ard).

Then the graduation itself really started, and Gina called everyone to order. She spoke about where all the graduates were going, and about the field they've chosen. It made me a little sad that I'm not going into that field too.

It apparently made Kumo fidgety, because she was suddenly rummaging through Wendy's purse looking for snacks, or breathmints or something.

The lovely Sandy was asked to be one of the two student speakers for graduation, and she did great, though there was apparently some question about how many husbands she had.

And Barb Smith, one of my favorite classmates, was also a student speaker. She was awesome. I think Barb is destined to do great things, and I'm glad I got to meet her, and massage her in class.

There aren't pictures of this part, but Wendy did the kindest thing for me. She knew that I've been a little depressed since things didn't go as well for me with my massage therapy career. Had things gone as planned, I should have been graduating about the same time. So, when Wendy's name got called up to come up and be acknowledged as a graduate, she took me with her. And as I walked up with Wendy, Gina called MY name too!!

It meant a lot.

The owner of the school, Dennis Simpson, spoke at the very end and told us about dreams, and focus, and how what you focus on expands. He's an amazing speaker, and he recited a poem he wrote that was very moving, and meaningful. I think it unlikely I'll ever hear "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" or "Can't Rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd" without thinking about Dennis from here on out.

And then it was over. There was much milling about and chatting, and cake.

Carrot cake, of course.

I got my picture taken with the fabulous Gina Simpson.

And also with Dennis, who I think is a great guy and really admire.

Wendy will be seeing them both again when she goes back to school in July. I don't know if I'll go to school with her this time around or not. I learned a lot, but it's really her thing, not mine now. I guess we'll see.

I DO know I'm going with her to Washington to visit Mal in May. And I ALSO know that we don't go out and do enough stuff, so I'm going to be after her to actually get out of the house occasionally too.

In the meantime, I'll miss the folks I went to school with, but I'm glad I got to meet them all. It's been a grand adventure. I'm looking forward to whatever adventures we get into next.

No comments:

Post a Comment